The Conciliation Procedure
Important news regarding mediation
After the positive results of the experimental phase of the joint mediation, Trenitalia SpA and 12 consumer organizations have signed a new Memorandum of Understanding that extends and simplifies the mediation, with the aim of facilitating customers and making more rapid and effective this important instrument for the settlement of disputes between Trenitalia and its passengers.
If a complaint has not received a satisfactory response or did not receive a response within sixty days from submission, customers can apply for mediation through one of the Consumer Associations that have signed up to the Memorandum.
How Conciliation works
The request for conciliation must be sent:
- within sixty days starting from the date the reply to the complaint was received
- in cases of no reply, within sixty days from the term of sixty days starting from the date when complaint was submitted
- by filling in the appropriate application form, which must be sent (by fax or registered letter with return receipt):
- through the signatory Associations
- directly to Trenitalia's Conciliation Office: Ufficio di Conciliazione, Piazza della Croce Rossa, 1 00161-Roma - or by fax to 39-06-44103490 - or send the Conciliation application form by e-mail to email@example.com.
If the customer does not indicate the Association to represent him/her in the conciliation, then Trenitalia will assign the application to one of the Consumer Associations that have signed the Protocol on a rotational basis.
The Conciliation Commission, made up of Conciliators designated by Trenitalia and the Consumer Associations, will examine the application taking account of the contractual obligations, the sector regulations and consumer protection standards and, following the principles of equity, will assess the possibility of making a conciliation proposal which is satisfactory to both parties and which will nevertheless be submitted to the customer for possible acceptance.
The procedure conciliation regards complaints:
- presented starting from 1 January 2010
- regarding journeys that had departure and destination on domestic lanes, and intermediate stations, on the Trenitalia trains AV, ES*, ES* City, IC (see the list)
- that indicate a discrepancy between a precise undertaking by Trenitalia as per the official documents (Transport Conditions, commercial information available on the Trenitalia website, Service Charter) and the service actually provided to the customer.
Regarding the train cleanliness complaints, it applies only to those trains whose contract with the cleaniness company has been already renewed and the activity been already implemented.